For reasons of safety and security, access to the Division of Chemistry and Biological Chemistry (CBC) is restricted by security card-readers, to prevent unauthorized persons from entering the laboratories. Students and staff members who want to work in any CBC laboratory must seek permission from the laboratory's Principal Investigator or Laboratory Manager before entering.
The procedure for requesting access is detailed below:
STEP 1: Read the SPMS Safety Manual
Click here to download the SPMS Safety Manual
Read through the manual carefully. Afterwards, print out the acknowledgement form on the last page.
Please also take the time to read through the SPMS Safety website, especially the page on CBC Safety Policies.
STEP 2: Risk Assessment
You must successfully complete a risk assessment on the Workplace Risk Assessment System (WRAS) system. Please read the Risk Assessment Guidelines and WRAS User Guide before starting to fill in your risk assessment.
- For the Risk Assessment Guidelines, click here.
- For the WRAS User Guide, click here.
- For additional guidance about using WRAS and writing a risk assessment, click here.
- To access the Workplace Risk Assessment System (WRAS), click here.
STEP 3: CBC Safety Quiz
You must complete CBC's online Safety Quiz:
- Go to NTULearn and log in using your NTU student/staff login and password.
- Click on the "Community" tab on the upper right-hand corner of the page.
- You should see a box labeled "My Organizations". Click on "SPMS - Workplace Health and Safety".
- Click on the link labelled "CBC Safety 2014" in the left side-bar.
- Click on the "CBC Laboratory Safety 2016" link, and a separate window will be opened. Follow the instructions on-screen to complete the quiz.
- At the end of the safety quiz, you will be given access to the Security Access Application form. Download and print a hard copy.
Step 4: Complete and Submit Application Forms
After you have finished the above 3 tasks, you should complete the following two forms:
- Safety Acknowledgement form (from Step 1)
- Security Access Application form (from Step 3)
Complete and sign both of these forms, in hard copy, and submit it to the reception counter of the SPMS Chair's Office on level 4. NOTE: All forms have to be typewritten. Handwritten forms will not be accepted.
Please note that the security access application may take up to 7 working days to process. Incomplete forms may result in further processing delays.
Damaged & Faulty Cards
If your staff/student card is faulty or damaged, please get them replaced.
Students may apply for replacement matriculation cards via StudentLink → Academic Matters → Matriculation Card Replacement.
Staff may report personally at the Office of Human Resources for a replacement staff card.