Yeo Jun Yi (left), BSc (Hons) in Applied Physics class of 2016, interning at DSTA.
Undergraduates majoring in Physics or Applied Physics who opt not to do a Final Year Project are required to undertake a Professional Internship. The Professional Internship programme provides students with the opportunity to acquire practical working experience, and to apply the domain knowledge acquired in the classroom to real-world situations. The internship may be to an industrial/commercial organization, research
centre, or educational institute, either locally or overseas. The internship lasts for 22 weeks, including either Semester 1 or Semester 2 (please refer to this page for NTU's Attachment & Internship schedule).
Students planning to do a Final Year Project can opt to undertake a shorter and less intensive Professional Attachment. This programme lasts for 10 weeks, and is conducted during the Special Terms (summer vacation period). Note that students are not allowed to register for both the 22-week Professional Internship and the 10-week Professional Attachment.
The Professional Internship and Professional Attachment modules are as follows:
- For students who matriculated in Academic Year 2014/2015 or earlier:
- PH4406 (10-week attachment, 4 AU, Unrestricted Elective, in Special Terms).
- PH4407 (22-week internship, 10 AU, Major Prescribed Elective, in Semester 1 or 2).
- For students who matriculated in Academic Year 2015/2016:
- PH4412 (10-week attachment, 4 AU, Unrestricted Elective, in Special Terms).
- PH4413 (22-week internship, 10 AU, Major Prescribed Elective, in Semester 1 or 2).
- For students who matriculated in Academic Year 2016/2017 or later:
- PH4416 (10-week attachment, 5 AU, Unrestricted Elective, in Special Terms).
- PH4417 (22-week internship, 11 AU, Major Prescribed Elective, in Semester 1 or 2)
The PH4406 and PH4407 modules (for students who matriculated in AY14/15 or earlier) are letter-graded. The other modules are graded on a Pass/Fail basis. In all cases, the participating student is required to give an oral presentation on his or her
internship/attachment experience and submit a final written report. Assessment
is done by
both the host organization and an NTU faculty member.
Please note that students undertaking the 22-week Professional Internship are not allowed to do a Final Year Project as well. Only those who do a Final Year Project are eligible for receiving an Honours (Highest Distinction) degree.
Registration and Placement
PAP majors in year 3 and 4 will receive an email regarding the Professional Internship programme. Those planning to participate in the Professional Internship should follow the instructions in the email to register for the programme.
NTU's Career & Attachment Office
(CAO) is responsible for sourcing for internship/attachment positions, and will contact participating students with a list of available host organizations. It is also possible for individual students to source for
a position themselves; self-sourced positions are
subject to approval by the Division and the CAO.