“Mathematical Sciences” is a broad term that includes the academic disciplines of Pure Mathematics, Applied and Computational Mathematics, and Statistics. It also includes subfields of computer science, engineering, life sciences, physical sciences, and social sciences, in which mathematical methods play an important role.
The Division of Mathematical Sciences offers these four-year undergraduate degree programmes:
During the first two years of study, our students read common core courses covering the fundamental topics of mathematics: calculus, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, probability, scientific programming, and mathematical exposition. This builds a strong foundation of mathematical knowledge, providing maximum flexibility for choosing more advanced topics of study.
In the last two years, students will tailor their course of study to their interests, focusing on one of four tracks:
- Pure Mathematics – topology, abstract algebra, number theory, differential geometry, etc.
- Applied Mathematics – numerical analysis, optimization, coding theory, cryptography, etc.
- Statistics – regression analysis, stochastic processes, time series analysis, etc.
- Business Analytics – algorithms, business operations and processes, optimization, etc.
Students in the Mathematical Sciences with Minor in Finance, Mathematical Sciences and Economics (Double Major), Mathematical and Computer Sciences (Double Major), and Data Science and Artificial Intelligence programmes also take courses in a second area of study.
Click here for information about application requirements and procedures.
Careers After Graduation
Our graduates have gone on to satisfying careers in many areas of the economy, including finance, banking, insurance, information technology, the education service, research and development (R&D), and the government. Specific occupations include:
- Banking, Finance, and Insurance — financial modeller/analyst, financial planner, actuary, risk analyst.
- Information Technology (IT) — software developer, systems administrator, computer systems analyst, data analyst, computer security analyst.
- Research & Development (R&D) and Education — research at DSO National Laboratories, A*Star research institutes, academia.
- Logistics and Business — operations research analyst, quality control analyst, resource management analyst, business consultant.
- Biomedical industry — biostatistician, bioinformatics specialist, epidemiologist.
- Government — policy/regulatory/operations jobs at Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Home Affairs, Ministry of Trade and Industry.